An accident due to another person’s negligence affects your career and family in a big way. The injured deserves compensation to put their lives on track and cover the damages caused by a car accident. ICBC provides coverage depending on the severity of the injury, the type of damage, and the duration it takes to resolve. ICBC lawyer works to pressurize the injured to accept the lowest possible compensation. Therefore, the injured should consider getting a personal injury lawyer before talking to the ICBC about the incident.
Recording Information after the Accident
The injured should get the necessary information after an accident, which serves as the point of reference while getting compensation. The injured uses the information gathered to make ICBC claims. The injured should collect the following information:
• Take pictures of the car accident scene and the extent of damage to the vehicle.
• Exchange information with the other driver involved in the accident- the information includes names, address, driver’s license number, and phone number.
• Ask information about the accident from a nearby onlooker and record their contact and information.
• Give information on the weather, driving conditions, and the time of the day.
• Record the badge number of the police officer who attended to the accident scene.
• Record the passenger information.
• Refrain from discussing fault with the other driver or anyone at the accident scene.
• See a doctor within a day or two after the accident.
Making an ICBC Statement
Report the claim to ICBC within 24 hours after the accident occurred. An adjuster from the corporation is keen to get every detail about the incident, and they may sometimes use the information from the report to minimize the coverage. ICBC can deny compensation if they collect evidence that the injured is in breach of the insurance contract. Some of the alleged violations include hit and run, racing, DUI, leaving the accident scene, fraud, false statement, and failure to cooperate with ICBC and to evade police officers. Therefore, it is important to consult with a personal injury lawyer before making a report to the ICBC.
Anyone injured in car accidents should get ICBC settlements on general and special damages, past and future loss of income following a car accident, trust claims, and cost of future care. ICBC also provides compensations for death benefits and funeral expenses. The amount of compensation that the person receives depends on who is at fault for the accident. If you are seeking more information, you will be able to appreciate the resources at the Preszler Law Firm website.